Now the hard question. Do I do this myself or do I go back out to a mechanic?
The parts are $1K. A professional will likely charge $1,500 - maybe a bit more.
The job involves removing the engine, seperating the engine and transmission, removing the flywheel and so on. It is rated a 7 on a scale of 1 -10 with 1 being washing the car and 10 being rebuilding the engine.
I want to start doing my own work on the car, but I was thinking oil changes, brake bleeding - simple stuff. Maybe fixing the heater and the AC fan. This is major work for my first project. Plus I have never done a clutch before, on any car.
But if not this project, which one? And if I pay for this, will I ever do major work on the car?
Pros of doing it myself:
- Learn more about the car
- Satisfaction of doing my own work
- Less dependant on mechanic
Cons of doing it myself:
- Need a weekend and a bit just in case
- Risk of screwing something up
- Risk of occupying Steve's garage for more than a weekend
- Risk of ending up having to pay twice for the same job
- Adds tow costs if I screw up