Tuesday, March 27, 2007

YouTube video

This video is of a 911 SC on a track, following a new 911 997. I have the feeling that either 1) this SC has been modified or 2) the driver of the SC is significantly more experienced than the driver of the 997.

Enjoy -

Fixing some of the issues

So, I took the time this past weekend to try and correct some of the issues. I started with the hood. I first replaced the prop rods. These are hydraulic shocks that hold the hood up when you open it. I started on the driver’s side. The Clovis pin and circlip that hold the prop rod in are connected to a bracket. On the driver’s side, not mentioned in any of the manuals, this bracket is under the gas filler tube. No idea if that is the right term. This is the hard, large, black metal pipe that runs from the gas cap to the fuel tank. This is an immovable object. Right next to this is a A/C or heater blower for the interior of the car. This has sharp objects on it. By dint of much pushing and prying on my hand, I wedge it into the space and get one finger on the Clovis pin. This is not going to be simple.

Wisdom being the better part of valor, I decided to start with the top. No issues, drops right off. I now have to do the bottom. HAVE TO. Getting the top back in place will not be simple. After much swearing, it came off. Fantastic. Out comes the old prop rod. Now to replace it. The new prop rod fits into the space easily. Now to get the bottom Clovis pin in place.

(. . . Time passes . . .)

(. . . More time passes . . . )

Finally, that is in place. Do the top, no problem. Take a look at the prop rod I just removed. It is dated 1985. So it was last replaced 22 years ago.

Go to move the car so I can get to the passenger side one. Car does not start. (Grumbling and more swearing) I cannot find my jumper cables. Go over to a friend’s house who also owns a classic car: a mini in his case. He has a very neat garage, unlike mine. Borrow his jumper cables. Connect the two cars. Jump the 911. Move it out and back and out and back. Get to the point I can replace the passenger side one. Takes a total, kid you not, of 10 minutes. Look at that prop rod. It is dated 1997. Obviously, the driver side one is a real bear.

I now start working on the hood not latching. I start by testing the latch itself. It works fine. The cable is not broken, nor is the catch itself. I now start adjusting the hood position. This solves the issue. YEAH! The car is now drivable!

I start it up. The dash issue occurs. I tap the key. The issue is cleared. Another small issue corrected! Or at least a work around until I decided to replace the ignition switch.

That is enough for today.

Thursday, March 8, 2007

Myriad small issues

Well, before I put the car to bed for the month of March -I took it out one more time. I know, I know - SALT - I think storing it for winter will be an issue for me every year. This time it was daylight, it was not freezing cold and I was not, no really officer, speeding. I drove around the valley till the temperature came up. I played around with this and that - the radio, the lights, etc. Once up to temp, I started winding it out a bit more. I actually took it up to the red line once or twice. One word - SWEET.

On the downsides, I did discover what was going on with Duffy the other night. It seems that every other time I started the car, the dash did not work. The speedometer, the radio, the headlights - all quit. So time to crack open the books I bought. I traced the electrical diagrams all the way out. I was looking for a relay, or possible wire that might be disconnected, or something like that. As far as I can tell, the only way this could be happening is if the ignition switch is causing the problem. I'm going to try jiggling the key the next time it happens.

Took it home after all of the fun parts. Filled up the gas tank. It seems that it is very important to have a full tank if you are not planning on running the car for a while. I also added some windshield washer fluid. Bad idea. It went into the system, then out of the system and on to the floor. I'll need to do more diagnosis once the weather is warmer, but I fear I need a new doohickey for the thingamabob.

I then took a look at the hood. Just checking the trunk for any leaking fluid etc. That is when I realized the emblem on the hood is loose. I think one of the speed nuts is missing.

I guess I just need to get used to buying car parts instead of pizza . . .