Monday, May 26, 2008

3rd Autocross

I attended my 3rd autocross of the season Sunday May 25th. This event was a NORPCA event at Lakeland Community College. John Hulick set up the course, with some help from another person. The course started with a long fast sweeping curve to the left on the tarmac where we usually establish the starting grid. The course then took a little jog across to the area where the course is typically laid out. There was a series of offset gates, followed by a very narrow gate into the optional slalom. At the end of the slalom was a 360 / 720 curve. You entered at 3 o'clock and followed around counter clockwise through 12, 9, 6, 3, 12 and 9 again. Out into a series of very fast straight gates, with a wicked offset gate and a Chicago box at the end of the straight. You then had a short straight and a tight left turn into the exit. 

This made for a 6 tenths of a mile course, with times running from 54 seconds out to 70 seconds, depending on the car and the driver. Fast drivers were John (of course), Doug Bradley, Dan, and Gino. Gino had the fastest time in the 4 cylinder Porsche class and John had the fastest time in the 6 cylinder Porsches and had the fastest time of the day. 

The  fastest time in the X class was a Camero with a new suspension set up. He initially had trouble with the first gate after the 360, but corrected in the afternoon and had some good runs after that. 

As for me, my times were progressively better. NORPCA gives out time slips so I have my times.

1st run 65.6 +1 cone
2nd run 63.0
3rd run 61.4 +1 cone
4th run 62.6
5th run 61.2

My group then worked the course, we took a lunch break, and then had our afternoon runs.

6th run 61.2
7th run 60.4
8th run 59.9
9th run 59.2

So over the day I took 6 seconds off my time. I was progressively faster, driving the car better each run. John gave me a compliment at the end of my last run, saying it looked really good. I was really pleased with the last run, and the run before it. Typically, when I have a good run, I end up over driving the next run and lose the progress I had made. This time I was able to keep my cool and control the car. 

I was watching Les's times as he had brought his 914-6 and his car is one of the ones I know is in my class. We ran fairly close to each other in times, and knowing where he was helped me push harder on my car.

Overall a very fun day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow cool post, i realy like the review about the 3rd autocross gathering, thanks for the information, keep it up....


1942-1947 Buick Shop Manuals