Thursday, March 8, 2007

Myriad small issues

Well, before I put the car to bed for the month of March -I took it out one more time. I know, I know - SALT - I think storing it for winter will be an issue for me every year. This time it was daylight, it was not freezing cold and I was not, no really officer, speeding. I drove around the valley till the temperature came up. I played around with this and that - the radio, the lights, etc. Once up to temp, I started winding it out a bit more. I actually took it up to the red line once or twice. One word - SWEET.

On the downsides, I did discover what was going on with Duffy the other night. It seems that every other time I started the car, the dash did not work. The speedometer, the radio, the headlights - all quit. So time to crack open the books I bought. I traced the electrical diagrams all the way out. I was looking for a relay, or possible wire that might be disconnected, or something like that. As far as I can tell, the only way this could be happening is if the ignition switch is causing the problem. I'm going to try jiggling the key the next time it happens.

Took it home after all of the fun parts. Filled up the gas tank. It seems that it is very important to have a full tank if you are not planning on running the car for a while. I also added some windshield washer fluid. Bad idea. It went into the system, then out of the system and on to the floor. I'll need to do more diagnosis once the weather is warmer, but I fear I need a new doohickey for the thingamabob.

I then took a look at the hood. Just checking the trunk for any leaking fluid etc. That is when I realized the emblem on the hood is loose. I think one of the speed nuts is missing.

I guess I just need to get used to buying car parts instead of pizza . . .

No comments: